Braces & Appliances
If we detect an early orthodontic problem with your children's dental health, our pediatric dentists will recommend interceptive treatment, such as braces or other oral appliances.
What is Interceptive Orthodontics?
Interceptive orthodontics is the diagnosis and treatment malocclusions or orthodontics issues in their earliest stages, usually while the teeth and oral cavity are still developing in children.
Early Detection is Key
In the past, orthodontic treatment did not begin until around age 12-14 yrs., when all the permanent teeth are already coming in.
It also used to be common for a dentist to remove permanent teeth to correct the bite and allow for room for the final phase of tooth movement.
Now, however, modern orthodontic thinking advocates a way to keep permanent teeth, with phased interceptive orthodontics, treating children at much earlier ages (usually 7-11 yrs.) to take advantage of continuing growth.
Patients at this age tend to be more receptive to, and compliant with treatment. Interceptive orthodontics allows for fewer teeth to be extracted and also allows for better end results.
Correction of Thumb Sucking & Pacifier Habits
Persistent thumb sucking and/or extended use of a pacifier can affect the development of the mouth, potentially result in these issues which can be helped with interceptive orthodontics:
- A mishaped jawbone (which is still soft and pliable at early ages)
- Misaligned teeth growing out of position
- Narrow dental arches
- Extreme tongue thrust habits
- Protruding front teeth
- 'Open bites' that would require extensive orthodontic treatment to straighten
Other Issues Potentially Helped by Interceptive Orthodontics
Other developmental issues that may indicate interceptive orthodontics include:
- Constricted palate, causes misalignment of back teeth commonly called crossbite
- Crowding of teeth
- Uneven development of upper and lower jaw
When is a Child a Candidate for Interceptive Orthodontics?
Before recommending any action, the dentists at Smile Town Burnaby will do an early evaluation to help determine whether your child is a candidate for interceptive orthodontics. If the answer is 'yes', our team will walk you through all the options and how they can impact the development of your child's healthy smile.
Ultimately, with the support of the Smile Town Burnaby Team, you'll be able to make a well-informed decision about which route to take.
Examples of Treatable Issues:
- Expansion of the upper jaw to eliminate a crossbite
- Expansion of one or both jaws to create space for overly crowded teeth
- Early removal of specific baby teeth to facilitate the proper eruption of permanent teeth
- Maintaining space for permanent teeth after the premature loss of a baby tooth
Advantages & Potential Results:
- Creating room for crowded, erupting teeth
- Creating facial symmetry by influencing jaw growth
- Reducing the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Preserving space for unerupted teeth
- Expanding the palate to properly position back molars
- Reducing the need for tooth removal
- Reducing treatment time
Download the FREE SmileTown Kids' Activity Booklet.
A great resource to help get your kids ready – and excited – to visit the dentist.
Enter your email address below to get the FREE activity book and to receive our latest news and updates.