To get your kids to take a more active role in their oral health, it's a good idea to get them interested in the topic. Here are a few fun dental facts about teeth and oral health to share with your kids!
1. Guess what the hardest part of your whole body is? It’s the enamel (the outer surface) of your teeth!
2. Baby teeth start to form before you're even born. But although they start developing in the womb, they only begin to erupt through the gums when you're between the ages of 6-12 months old.
3. Each human gets two full sets of teeth during his or her lifetime: the primary teeth and the adult permanent teeth. So be sure to take good care of your adult teeth; there are no do-overs!
4. Humans have four different types of teeth: incisors, canines, premolars and molars. Your different types of teeth that are all used to perform different eating tasks, like cutting, tearing, chomping and grinding your food!
5. Your teeth are as unique as your fingerprints. No two people have the exact same teeth!
6. Your mouth produces two swimming pools-worth of drool in your lifetime! That’s a hefty 25,000 quarts of saliva. Gross...
7. The average person (with good oral hygiene habits) spends about 38 and a half days brushing their teeth over a lifetime. Might be a good idea to invest in an electric toothbrush!
8. Many diseases are directly or indirectly linked to your oral health: examples include diabetes, heart disease and osteoporosis.Just a few more reasons to take care of your dental health!
9. Only two thirds of a tooth’s length is actually visible above the gum line. There’s a whole other third of a tooth hiding in your gums!
10. If your tooth gets knocked out, you can put it in a glass of milk to help keep it alive long enough for the dentist to replace it. Just be sure you see your dentist as soon as possible.