What do you need to know as you are looking for a children's dentist in Burnaby? How do you find the right 'fit'?
If you are a parent looking for a dentist for your child – whether he is an infant just sprouting his first teeth or a teenager who needs braces – you definitely want to choose a competent, patient professional who loves working with children.
The dentist's practice, from the dental team to the range of services, needs to meet both your needs, and those of your kids.
Choosing the right dentist can be overwhelming, especially when you're not sure what questions to ask.
So, here's a list of great initial questions to ask yourself as you search for a children's dentist in Burnaby.
Before Your First Visit
- Does the dentist have special training or interest in treating children?
- Is the dentist a member of the American Dental Association and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry?
- Is the dentist office inviting and friendly for children? Does it offer childrens toys, books, games, or child-sized furniture?
- How does the practice manage children's dental emergencies?
- Is the office conveniently located near your home or your children's school in Burnaby?
- Does the practice accept your dental benefit plan?
After Your First Visit
- Was the dentist and his or her team on time for your appointment?
- Did they ask for a complete medical and dental history for your child? (This is very important!)
- Were the dentist and his team gentle but thorough when examining your child's mouth?
- How did the dentist and her team interact with your child? Was your child engaged and comfortable/
- Did the dentist inform you about your child's tooth development, the causes and prevention of dental disease, and appropriate dental care at home?
- Were your questions treated with concern and respect?
- Was the overall visit positive for your child?
These are just a few things to think about as you look for a children's dentist in Burnaby.